Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:16:48 +0000, niteowl
wrote:

I have a very sickly ceanothus that has brown leaves (those that are
left) and is very straggly. It was pruned lightly last year and came
good but having read some of the other posts on this subject I think it
may be just too cold for it here (Aberdeenshire)

The really good ceanothus species are Californian and generally are
native to fairly mild Mediterranean climates: in the sense of lots of
winter rainfall and a long, sunny, dry summer.

Admittedly I'm basing this remark on a possibly faulty stereotype of
Scottish weather, but I can hardly imagine a climate less congenial to
ceanothus, what with clouds, chill, and rain.

Warmth and sun and drought: that's what they want, though they
probably do better with some moisture down deep.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada