Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sally Holmes" wrote
Six years ago, I planted a ceanothus. It was supposed to grow 3 - 4' high
and wide.

About this time last year, it had got to about 6' high and wide and was
showing no signs of stopping. It was sprawling onto the lawn and killing
the grass. Any attempt to cut it back was taken as encouragement to grow
another foot or so.

It was beautiful, but it was a thug. I cut it off six inches above the
ground. I thought it might sprout back but it didn't and I didn't mind.

The ground where it used to be is still weed-free. I wasn't surprised to
see no weeds when I first cut it, as it was such dry dense shade, but
after a year I expect to see a few opportunists.

Do ceanothuses poison the soil? I'd like to plant something with better
manners in its place, but if it'll just die off I'll save my money and
energy - the stump's still there and it'll take some fetching out.

Don't think so, my neighbour had one in his garden when he moved there that
was like a 12 ft ragged round ball right across the garden path and killing
the grass. After consideration we turned it into a tree by "raising the
crown" so he could walk along the path underneath.
He has planted shade tolerant things underneath and although they do
sometimes seem to suffer with the dryness they grow.

It looks magnificent at this time, it's a Royal Blue coloured one and a
perfect umbrella shape. Must get a photo.

--
Regards
Bob