Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Sally Holmes

Default Do Ceanothuses poison the soil?

Six years ago, I planted a ceanothus. It was supposed to grow 3 - 4' high
and wide.

About this time last year, it had got to about 6' high and wide and was
showing no signs of stopping. It was sprawling onto the lawn and killing the
grass. Any attempt to cut it back was taken as encouragement to grow another
foot or so.

It was beautiful, but it was a thug. I cut it off six inches above the
ground. I thought it might sprout back but it didn't and I didn't mind.

The ground where it used to be is still weed-free. I wasn't surprised to see
no weeds when I first cut it, as it was such dry dense shade, but after a
year I expect to see a few opportunists.

Do ceanothuses poison the soil? I'd like to plant something with better
manners in its place, but if it'll just die off I'll save my money and
energy - the stump's still there and it'll take some fetching out.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 01-05-2005, 10:23 PM
keith ;-\)

"such dry dense shade" this is probably the reason the grass died.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sally Holmes" wrote
[...]

Don't think so, my neighbour had one in his garden when he moved there that
was like a 12 ft ragged round ball right across the garden path and killing
the grass. After consideration we turned it into a tree by "raising the
crown" so he could walk along the path underneath.
He has planted shade tolerant things underneath and although they do
sometimes seem to suffer with the dryness they grow.

It looks magnificent at this time, it's a Royal Blue coloured one and a
perfect umbrella shape. Must get a photo.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-05-2005, 03:11 AM
Graham W

Sally Holmes wrote:
Six years ago, I planted a ceanothus. It was supposed to grow 3 - 4'
high and wide.

I have one of those! Like yours, it it is both taller and wider than
the space that should have been taken. Currently at about 6' x 5'.

About this time last year, it had got to about 6' high and wide and
was showing no signs of stopping. It was sprawling onto the lawn and
killing the grass. Any attempt to cut it back was taken as
encouragement to grow another foot or so.

Well, I have removed prunings of all sizes and it continues in good
health. But as you say, it is restored to its previous size with a year
or two!

It was beautiful, but it was a thug. I cut it off six inches above the
ground. I thought it might sprout back but it didn't and I didn't
mind.

Mine isn't so good at flowering but some others I have seen are
solid blue all over - I wish it would take the hint!

The ground where it used to be is still weed-free. I wasn't surprised
to see no weeds when I first cut it, as it was such dry dense shade,
but after a year I expect to see a few opportunists.

Do ceanothuses poison the soil?

I don't know. I would have thought that you would notice something
dying off if that were the case, though.