Old 02-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Justin

Hi all,

In reading

"Ok - Here is my tank set up -
I put ammonia in the tank to start the fishless cycle, about a week ago.
The ammonia spiked to off the charts, at least 8.0 ppm. My nitrite is
0.50, PH is 7.8, Nitrates 0"

I thought that at the higher ends of PH that ammonia is harder to break
down...? I don't know if this helps at all... From what i read in that
article, the plants soak up the amonia direct from the water so this may no
even be relevant... But I have been advised by my LFS to make sure in my
planted tank that I don't let the PH get too high or I will have a problem
with amonia no breaking down.

Justin.

"Celtic_Wanderer" wrote in message
I added five or so plants before I added any fish to my tank. I than added
two platys to my tank to cycle it. It's been a month and half and I have
not had any problems. As a matter of fact, I never had any trace of
ammonia, nitrates or nitrites.

I now have a dozen or so plants and twenty fish and everyone is doing
great. I have read that in a planted tank the cycling process is different
and that you may never see traces of ammonia, nitrates or nitrites because
the plant absorb it before they reach measurable levels.

--
Celtic Wanderer
http://home.comcast.net/~Celtic_wanderer

"Connie" wrote in message
Can you cycle with plants in the tank...??? Can they make it through the
high amonia spikes?