Old 02-05-2005, 04:15 PM
michelestokes michelestokes is offline
Registered User

Sorry, should have added, I was under the impression that peaty soils have very few nutrients and can remain waterlogged during critical sowing times - is this correct or am I moaning about something I shouldn't be? I'm new to gardening and am just going off what I've read.

We can't even walk on the soil without risking losing a boot. And pools of stagnant water that won't drain away can get pretty smelly!

The only thing that is growing in the surrounding fields is heather, so I guess we should take a cue from nature. Still want a lawn though, can anyone suggest the best way to add drainage to the soil?