Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 PM
William W. Plummer

michelestokes wrote:

Sorry for cross-posting, but I'm desperate.

We have just bought a new property in Northern Ireland and the garden
is causing us nightmares. The soil is very peaty and is black in
colour. It also retains a lot of water, but has a tendancy to crust
over in hotter weather.

At the moment the garden is a blank canvas as we have no idea what to
do with it. We would like to plant a lawn and have some colour in the
garden. Can anyone offer any advise on how to work with the garden and
maybe any recommendations for lawn and plant types.

Look for local garden clubs. Talk to some nurseries and landscapers
for ideas. I'm not sure, but I believe peat is very acidic so you will
want to add lime. And make sure you get real lime, not powdered
limestone (ground up clam shells).

I'm sure you have a standard problem and there must be a standard solution.