Old 02-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Rod

On Sun, 1 May 2005 19:58:14 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

checked the oil level in the gem today. its was spot on half way up the
dipstick when rested on the threads. nice and clean too...but im a bit
concerned at the treackly thickness of it though. i think its worth
changing! this is one excelent tool...effortlessly turns old lawn into
something to plant flowers into!

Don't forget the oil in there would be a gear oil something like SAE90
so it will be thick. If I was changing ours now I'd probably stick
with that being a bit conservative and old fashioned, though for
everything on our tractors including hydraulics, engine, gearboxes etc
we use a modern multipurpose oil which is supposed to be OK down every
hole on the machine. What you need to worry about is if the oil is a
creamy consistency which indicates it's contaminated by water
(condensation usually) and the performance of the oil will be
seriously compromised.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.