Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

"Rod" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 May 2005 19:58:14 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

checked the oil level in the gem today. its was spot on half way up the
dipstick when rested on the threads. nice and clean too...but im a bit
concerned at the treackly thickness of it though. i think its worth
changing! this is one excelent tool...effortlessly turns old lawn into
something to plant flowers into!

Don't forget the oil in there would be a gear oil something like SAE90
so it will be thick. If I was changing ours now I'd probably stick
with that being a bit conservative and old fashioned, though for
everything on our tractors including hydraulics, engine, gearboxes etc
we use a modern multipurpose oil which is supposed to be OK down every
hole on the machine. What you need to worry about is if the oil is a
creamy consistency which indicates it's contaminated by water
(condensation usually) and the performance of the oil will be
seriously compromised.

no, luckily its nice and clear save for air bubble's in suspension. i think
i bought a good un!

Steve