Old 02-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Sacha

On 2/5/05 19:10, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote regarding Guy Sissons:

I hope he's coming over in a couple of weeks to bring us a Jade
vine (sorry can't remember proper name) and a couple of Lonicera
hilderbrandiana, one for us, one for David Poole.

I'm trying to conjure up the thought of Strongylodon macrobotrys
producing its metre long racemes of pale jade-green flowers in the
small double.

That's almost certainly where it will go and thanks, I knew you'd kick my
memory into life. We saw it in Nevis, in the Botanic Garden and loved it.
My outlaws grew it in the glassed in surround to their swimming pool but I
think it succumbed to a heating break down during one
unusually-cold-winter-for-Jersey. Before that, it was doing rather well.
;-(

I've not grown it, but it is reputed to need quite high
winter temperatures (about 20C) in order to flower. Maybe if Nick
McClaren know anyone at Cambridge Uni, he could ask what temps they
allow their plant.

Fingers crossed about the Lonicera. I mentioned to a few friends that
I was planning to grow a 'honeysuckle' over the back door and they
showed considerable surprise since I don't 'do' conventionally hardy
plants. One said "At last ... something more down to earth" Then I
told him it was the giant Burmese honeysuckle and in every way, as far
from being down to earth as you could get!

Again, I think ours will have to go into the small double. It's unlikely to
take an outdoor winter here! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk