Old 27-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Sacha

Default The Plantsman Nursery

I posted a while ago that we'd heard they were packing up and that's true
and not true. I've just spoken to Guy and the sad news is they're going,
the good news for the French is that they're moving lock, stock and plants
to somewhere just outside of Bordeaux. However, they will be around until
the end of June, so anyone looking for very unusual climbers should contact
Guy Sissons before then:
http://www.plantsman.com/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes
I posted a while ago that we'd heard they were packing up and that's true
and not true. I've just spoken to Guy and the sad news is they're going,
the good news for the French is that they're moving lock, stock and plants
to somewhere just outside of Bordeaux. However, they will be around until
the end of June, so anyone looking for very unusual climbers should contact
Guy Sissons before then:
http://www.plantsman.com/

Well that's not fair Sacha, you post this innocuous address up and I
spend an inordinate amount of time reading the catalogue! There's loads
of plants I'd love and some I have never heard of so had to look up when
I should have been potting up stuff for our gardening Association plant
sale on Saturday!!

Did try and download the catalogue but after 22 Mb it failed for no
apparent reason so will have to buy it instead.
Wish he had a filter for hardy as some of the loveliest flowers were
disappointingly frost susceptible, wish he had one for fragrant as well
as I always try to buy scented climbers if possible.

Thanks for the address, I must just buy one or two plants even if I have
to build somewhere for them to grow.......................

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Sacha

On 2/5/05 9:36, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

LOL!! Sorry to give you a mouth watering waste of time, Janet! His
catalogue is so lovely you could almost hang it on the wall. I think one of
his reasons for moving to France must be because it will vastly increase his
sales as so much of his stuff IS tender and needs a conservatory in this
country. I hope he's coming over in a couple of weeks to bring us a Jade
vine (sorry can't remember proper name) and a couple of Lonicera
hilderbrandiana, one for us, one for David Poole.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Sacha

On 2/5/05 19:10, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote regarding Guy Sissons:

I hope he's coming over in a couple of weeks to bring us a Jade
vine (sorry can't remember proper name) and a couple of Lonicera
hilderbrandiana, one for us, one for David Poole.

I'm trying to conjure up the thought of Strongylodon macrobotrys
producing its metre long racemes of pale jade-green flowers in the
small double.

That's almost certainly where it will go and thanks, I knew you'd kick my
memory into life. We saw it in Nevis, in the Botanic Garden and loved it.
My outlaws grew it in the glassed in surround to their swimming pool but I
think it succumbed to a heating break down during one
unusually-cold-winter-for-Jersey. Before that, it was doing rather well.
;-(

I've not grown it, but it is reputed to need quite high
winter temperatures (about 20C) in order to flower. Maybe if Nick
McClaren know anyone at Cambridge Uni, he could ask what temps they
allow their plant.

Fingers crossed about the Lonicera. I mentioned to a few friends that
I was planning to grow a 'honeysuckle' over the back door and they
showed considerable surprise since I don't 'do' conventionally hardy
plants. One said "At last ... something more down to earth" Then I
told him it was the giant Burmese honeysuckle and in every way, as far
from being down to earth as you could get!

Again, I think ours will have to go into the small double. It's unlikely to
take an outdoor winter here! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes
this
country. I hope he's coming over in a couple of weeks to bring us a Jade
vine (sorry can't remember proper name)

Isn't that Strongylodon something or other?

Can't grow EITHER of them! So back to hardy fragrant climbers

Old 02-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , martin
writes
On Mon, 2 May 2005 09:36:45 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Did try and download the catalogue but after 22 Mb it failed for no
apparent reason so will have to buy it instead.

It takes a long long time. I saved it to a file, on the second
attempt.

Well we are on broadband so it shouldn't but it appeared to load then
gave a failed message.

Couldn't print it all out anyway! It would need 55 pages of colour, even
allowing for the fact that my digital copier is colour, it would still
take a lot of paper and toner so will send off for a copy

Janet