Old 02-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Diana Kulaga

Mike,

Assuming you are talking about creating a new plant from your existing one,
as opposed to mass production, try this.

After the Phal has finished blooming, cut the spike (with a sterilized tool
or a fresh single edged razor blade) down to just above the third or fourth
node from the bottom. If you have a keiki booster type product, use it, or
something like Rootone. If you have neither, don't go nuts trying to find
something. This method *may* produce either a keiki or another round of
flowers. It you get a keike, wait until it has several roots before snapping
it off and potting it up.

Here's the caveat: flowering takes a lot of energy. If the plant looks in
any way stressed, don't try to make it produce more. Better to keep the
parent plant healthy than to stress it for more production. Recently, I cut
the spike (and all its flowers) off a favorite Phal that has been
experiencing problems. I don't want to lose the plant for the sake of this
years blooms!

Diana