Old 03-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Dave Sheehy

Ray ) wrote:
: Aliflor is fine if you're willing to water a lot. If you cannot do that, -
: or just don't want to - but want the advantages of a non-decomposing medium,
: you might consider semi-hydroponics, but with a different brand of LECA.
: Aliflor is not the best for S/H, due in large part to its spherical shape.

The last time I repotted my indoor Vandas I used Aliflor instead of lava
rock or large bark as I've done before. In the past my Vandas have always
developed numerous aerial roots but they didn't this time. After growing
a bit concerned I poured the Aliflor out of the pot in order to investigate
and was shocked to find quite vigorous root growth throughout the pot.

Dave