Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 2 May 2005 18:15:50 +0000 (UTC), "Cargo"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cargo" wrote in message
Its easier if I show you a few pics of our Dwarf Rhode.

This year it has been very poor, in fact very ill, more like it.

Does anyone know the cause of this ailment.

Pics are 800 x 600 so take a little time to load...

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/rhodiproblem.htm

thanks
Don

Too much sun?
Too small a pot?
Jenny

Jenny, thanks for reply

To much sun.......we are in the UK :-) The plant has stood in the same area
for 5 years now and this is the first poor show.

The pot is 12" diameter and 12" inches deep. Do you think this is to small
for 5+ year plant. We thought as a dwarf it should be restrained by the pot.

thanks
Don

Looks like 'Bow Bells' or similar williamsianum hybrid.

R. williamsianum itself has bronzy young foliage, and this can be
inherited by it's offspring, Bow Bells being no exception. But this
wouldn't explain why it wasn't showing this colour in previous years.
Also, the rather blotchy appearance suggests a disorder of some sort.
Phosphorus deficiency causes reddish-purple blotches. The later stages
of nitrogen deficiency can produce reddish blotches on tips and
outside edges of leaves, but usually after they have gone through a
rather yellow-green stage. When did you last feed it? You should use a
high-nitrogen feed suitable for ericaceous plants, applied monthly
after flowering until the end of June, and then a high potash feed in
July to encourage flower bud formation for next year.

'Dwarf' is a relative term in rhododendrons; some 'dwarves' can go to
6ft, but 'Bow Bells' is smaller than that, 3 - 4 ft IIRC. I'd go with
JennyC on the possible need for re-potting. Carefully knock it out of
it's pot and if the root-ball is a solid mass of roots, consider
re-potting in a tub in John Innes ericaceous compost. Don't forget to
scrape the outer surface of the root ball to disturb the roots,
otherwise they'll never grow out into the fresh compost.

--
Chris