Old 02-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Cargo

Default Dwarf Rhode problem

Its easier if I show you a few pics of our Dwarf Rhode.

This year it has been very poor, in fact very ill, more like it.

Does anyone know the cause of this ailment.

Pics are 800 x 600 so take a little time to load...

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/rhodiproblem.htm

thanks
Don

Old 02-05-2005, 06:06 PM
JennyC

"Cargo" wrote in message
Its easier if I show you a few pics of our Dwarf Rhode.

This year it has been very poor, in fact very ill, more like it.

Does anyone know the cause of this ailment.

Pics are 800 x 600 so take a little time to load...

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/rhodiproblem.htm

thanks
Don

Too much sun?
Too small a pot?
Jenny

Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Cargo

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cargo" wrote in message
Its easier if I show you a few pics of our Dwarf Rhode.

This year it has been very poor, in fact very ill, more like it.

Does anyone know the cause of this ailment.

Pics are 800 x 600 so take a little time to load...

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/rhodiproblem.htm

thanks
Don

Too much sun?
Too small a pot?
Jenny

Jenny, thanks for reply

To much sun.......we are in the UK :-) The plant has stood in the same area
for 5 years now and this is the first poor show.

The pot is 12" diameter and 12" inches deep. Do you think this is to small
for 5+ year plant. We thought as a dwarf it should be restrained by the pot.

thanks
Don

Old 02-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Spider

Cargo wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cargo" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Don,

Jenny's probably quite right on both counts. Knock your Rhodi out of its
pot and see if it's pot bound. If the roots are completely filling the pot,
two things will be happening:
1. The soil ball will dry out very rapidly and will be difficult to keep
wetted.
2. The roots will be touching the sides of the pot and getting very hot
with the sun on it.

Your Rhodi prefers a moist, cool root run. It is currently getting neither
of those. Although you say it coped with sunny conditions until now, it
probably coped with them because it was not so stressed. I think that if
you repot your Rhodi in ericaceous compost (which will also have the effect
of feeding it), water it in well and stand it in a shadier place, you will
see it recover. The food supply in the compost will only last 4-6 weeks, so
be prepared to feed again in a couple of months' time. It will also help
your plant if you deadhead it, so that it's not trying to make seed. This
is standard advice for Rhodies, but is especially important while your plant
is recovering.

Regards,
Spider

Old 03-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Cargo

"Spider" wrote in message

Cargo wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cargo" wrote in message
[...]

thanks Jenny & Spider we will take immediate action.

Don

Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:31:49 +0000 (UTC), "Cargo"
wrote:

Its easier if I show you a few pics of our Dwarf Rhode.

This year it has been very poor, in fact very ill, more like it.

Does anyone know the cause of this ailment.

Pics are 800 x 600 so take a little time to load...

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/rhodiproblem.htm

thanks
Don

Looks like 'Bow Bells' or similar williamsianum hybrid.

'Dwarf' is a relative term in rhododendrons; some can go to 6ft, but
'Bow Bells' is smaller than that, 3 - 4 ft IIRC. I'd go with JennyC
on the possible need for re-potting. Carefully knock it out of it's
pot and if the root-ball is a solid mass of roots, consider re-potting
in John Innes ericaceous compost.

Phosphorus deficiency causes reddish-purple blotches. The later stages
of nitrogen deficiency can produce reddish blotches on tips and
outside edges of leaves (but usually after they have gone rather
yellow-green). When did you last feed it? Use a feed suitable for
ericaceous plants, applied monthly.

--
Chris

Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 2 May 2005 18:15:50 +0000 (UTC), "Cargo"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cargo" wrote in message
[...]

R. williamsianum itself has bronzy young foliage, and this can be
inherited by it's offspring, Bow Bells being no exception. But this
wouldn't explain why it wasn't showing this colour in previous years.
Also, the rather blotchy appearance suggests a disorder of some sort.
Phosphorus deficiency causes reddish-purple blotches. The later stages
of nitrogen deficiency can produce reddish blotches on tips and
outside edges of leaves, but usually after they have gone through a
rather yellow-green stage. When did you last feed it? You should use a
high-nitrogen feed suitable for ericaceous plants, applied monthly
after flowering until the end of June, and then a high potash feed in
July to encourage flower bud formation for next year.

'Dwarf' is a relative term in rhododendrons; some 'dwarves' can go to
6ft, but 'Bow Bells' is smaller than that, 3 - 4 ft IIRC. I'd go with
JennyC on the possible need for re-potting. Carefully knock it out of
it's pot and if the root-ball is a solid mass of roots, consider
re-potting in a tub in John Innes ericaceous compost. Don't forget to
scrape the outer surface of the root ball to disturb the roots,
otherwise they'll never grow out into the fresh compost.

--
Chris

Old 07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Gomma Pyle

"Cargo" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

Cargo wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Cargo" wrote in message
[...]

well we removed the Rhode from its pot and there was no sign of root balling
or even touching the pot and the loam was in great not tight or loose
condition.

anyways we have now repotted in ericaceous loam and removed the now dying
leaves and flower heads and placed it into a cooler spot for the rest of
this year. Fingers crossed for next year now. Still our other dwarf seems to
be thriving.

thanks
Don