Old 03-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Pond Skater Pond Skater is offline
Registered User

Some great ideas here - thank you all very much! Reel McKoi's double planting basket concept sounds good - obviously my single planting basket was not enough and I need two of them. David's concentric spheres remind me too much of things that I studied too long ago to remember.... but do let me know when you find a supplier! You could make a fortune...

I think tomorrow I will be wiring up some baskets - a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted (or after the newt has been minced) - but would hate my tadpoles to go the same way.

Thanks again for all your ideas - keep 'em coming! (And if anyone has any spare newts in south-central UK, please let me know as I still haven't told my kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
On Tue, 3 May 2005 09:23:40 -0500, "Reel McKoi" invalid@invalid
wrote:
[color=blue][i]

"Pond Skater" wrote in message

=====================
I use those black plastic pond plant pots wired together like clamshells.
They make excellent intake (or pump) guards. So far only the smallest fish
have gotten past this setup. Make sure you jam polyfilter around the hole
where the intake enters your "basket" or whatever is on the end of the
intake. Don't leave any openings large enough for small critters to get
past.....

Hello PondSkater,

I have been conceptually wrestling with this problem for about six
months now, for a pond I am attempting to design for small tropical
fish. The solution I have about settled on, (I think g), is
something like Reel McKoi's above, except with concentric spherical
screens. Maybe three of them. The outermost would (of course) be the
largest diameter, and therefore would have the least suction per
square inch. It would also have the largest grid size, to stop the
largest debris, e.g., leaves. If trapped against the screen, small
fish, newts, etc. should be able to swim back away because the suction
per surface area will be minimal.

The next inner spherical screen would be (of course) smaller diameter,
and would have a smaller grid size, so smaller debris would be trapped
against it. And even though the suction per area would be greater,
any smaller fish that made it that far should still be able to swim
back out.

The next, and probably final spherical screen would be a smaller
diameter yet,
with a smaller grid size. This should trap the smallest
debris. And any fish, etc., that are small enough to make it that
far; well, life just isn't perfect...

In that regard, depending on the expected critter size and the level
of proprietor's worry, one could experiment with the spherical screen
diameters, and with the grid sizes of each spherical screen. Maybe
even add a fourth screen(?)

Also, I suppose one could turn the pump off periodically to allow any
stuck ones to escape. (I imagine that this would provide a real
learning experience for anyone caught, and I doubt that they would be
keen to repeat the adventure.) (And if they do, then maybe you don't
want them to remain in your gene pool anyway. g)

Since I haven't implemented this concept yet, I would be happy for any
of you more knowledgeable folks to take potshots at it. One clear
issue in my mind will be the complication of trapping and plugging
with algae. However, that issue has to be faced anyway.

Best regards, David