Old 03-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Pond pump problem... please help!

Hi everyone -

I'm a newbie so please be gentle! I built my small wildlife pond last summer. It is only about 4ft x 3ft and is about 2ft at the deepest point. It's doing really well and wildlife is flourishing.... except for the problem!

I have a Hozelock Cascade low voltage pump, situated out of the pond, which takes water to a waterfall. The main reason I chose this pump is that it did not have to be in the pond itself - the pond is small enough without having a pump taking up half the floor space!

I originally wedged the pump intake pipe under a large stone, and covered the end of the pipe with a piece of netting to prevent any wildlife from gettng sucked in. This was OK - I needed to scrape the leaves and debris off the netting every day but not too onerous... until I found a lovely little newt, stuck to the netting, waving his legs, unable to drag himself off. After that, I re-sited the intake under a large planting basket (cut a hole for the pipe) and weighed in down with a large stone. That worked really well - didn't get clogged up at all and no loss of flow on the waterfall for weeks.

Yesterday, to my considerable distress, I discovered that the newt had found his way into the planting basket and had been sucked up the pipe. I will not describe the situation any further, suffice to say that I was in tears for most of the day, as I had become very fond of him. I even forgave him for eating my tadpoles. Cannot bring myself to tell the kids what has happened.

Pump is now switched off. I would be grateful for any ideas on how I get set up my pond and pump in a way which is safe for the wildlife which I am trying to attract. I see no point in attracting wildlife if my setup is going to kill it.

Apologies for length of post, but thought it best to explain the situation fully. Many thanks in advance for any constructive advice!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Reel McKoi

"Pond Skater" wrote in message

[...]

=====================
I use those black plastic pond plant pots wired together like clamshells.
They make excellent intake (or pump) guards. So far only the smallest fish
have gotten past this setup. Make sure you jam polyfilter around the hole
where the intake enters your "basket" or whatever is on the end of the
intake. Don't leave any openings large enough for small critters to get
past.....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 03-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Charles

On Tue, 3 May 2005 10:29:20 +0000, Pond Skater
wrote:

[...]

Use sponge for a strainer in front of the pump. many pumps come with
that option, you could adapt the sponge to the pipe you have in the
pond now. Cleaning will be more important..
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
David

On Tue, 3 May 2005 09:23:40 -0500, "Reel McKoi" invalid@invalid
wrote:

[...]

Hello PondSkater,

I have been conceptually wrestling with this problem for about six
months now, for a pond I am attempting to design for small tropical
fish. The solution I have about settled on, (I think g), is
something like Reel McKoi's above, except with concentric spherical
screens. Maybe three of them. The outermost would (of course) be the
largest diameter, and therefore would have the least suction per
square inch. It would also have the largest grid size, to stop the
largest debris, e.g., leaves. If trapped against the screen, small
fish, newts, etc. should be able to swim back away because the suction
per surface area will be minimal.

The next inner spherical screen would be (of course) smaller diameter,
and would have a smaller grid size, so smaller debris would be trapped
against it. And even though the suction per area would be greater,
any smaller fish that made it that far should still be able to swim
back out.

The next, and probably final spherical screen would be a smaller
diameter yet, with a smaller grid size. This should trap the smallest
debris. And any fish, etc., that are small enough to make it that
far; well, life just isn't perfect...

In that regard, depending on the expected critter size and the level
of proprietor's worry, one could experiment with the spherical screen
diameters, and with the grid sizes of each spherical screen. Maybe
even add a fourth screen(?)

Also, I suppose one could turn the pump off periodically to allow any
stuck ones to escape. (I imagine that this would provide a real
learning experience for anyone caught, and I doubt that they would be
keen to repeat the adventure.) (And if they do, then maybe you don't
want them to remain in your gene pool anyway. g)

Since I haven't implemented this concept yet, I would be happy for any
of you more knowledgeable folks to take potshots at it. One clear
issue in my mind will be the complication of trapping and plugging
with algae. However, that issue has to be faced anyway.

Best regards, David
Old 03-05-2005, 05:50 PM
kathy

Another way to protect the pump and critters
is to surround the pump with black vinyl screening
this reduces the overal power or defuses it around
the pump. Also leaves a bigger surface and reduces
cleaning.

good luck!
kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ turtles!

Old 03-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Yorkshire Pudding

Snipped

Also, I suppose one could turn the pump off periodically to allow any
stuck ones to escape.

Snipped

I've put my pump on a timer, half an hour on and half an hour off. It
also gives me the chance to observe the pondlife through a calm
surface.

Howard
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/otters/Fish.htm

Old 03-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Some great ideas here - thank you all very much! Reel McKoi's double planting basket concept sounds good - obviously my single planting basket was not enough and I need two of them. David's concentric spheres remind me too much of things that I studied too long ago to remember.... but do let me know when you find a supplier! You could make a fortune...

I think tomorrow I will be wiring up some baskets - a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted (or after the newt has been minced) - but would hate my tadpoles to go the same way.

Thanks again for all your ideas - keep 'em coming! (And if anyone has any spare newts in south-central UK, please let me know as I still haven't told my kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
On Tue, 3 May 2005 09:23:40 -0500, "Reel McKoi" invalid@invalid
[color=blue][i]

Old 05-05-2005, 03:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Some great ideas here - thank you all very much! double
planting basket concept sounds good

My son makes these for me:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/09.jpg

He uses a product called Marine Goop around the openings where the wires
and tubing come out so the openings are form fitted, once dry it is
apparently non-toxic as we use it on things for both the ponds and
aquariums. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan JJsPond.us
wild life becoming trapped in a prefilter~
I have a caseless Oase aquamax 5500lph pump in my wildlife pond, to the inlet I attached two 6" square well stamped aquatic plant pots. By well stamped I mean there is very little flashing over the holes that should be present in the pot. The pots are cable tied together, top to top, to form a box. The outlet to the pump goes through the bottom of one of the pots and in my case a hose connects the screen to the pump inlet. Such a screen takes up less space than the original pump case and I have had no problems with 'large' animals becoming stuck on it.
I have a similar set up on the side drain of a plant pond, there is a lot of blanket weed in that pond so I have to clear the screen daily and some frog tadpoles are being sucked through especially when the BW covers most of the holes. The odd snail has also been sucked out of its shell but the 'important creatures have not been sucked through.
If you are UK based the pots are those used in the B&Q aquatic plant packs. It might be worth buying 2 say flowering rush packs just to get the pots.

Zone 6...To Pump or not to pump? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
Pump in or Pump out? Szpond Ponds 5 15-11-2003 05:32 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM