Old 03-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Rob Halgren

wendy7 wrote:
I had read a while back that species of equitant oncidiums were
named Tolumnias.
When did they make this rule for hybrids as well?

I don't know that it is a rule, so much as convention. The
international orchid registrar (at the RHS) decides these kinds of
things. At least for the registration of hybrids. Not sure when they
accepted 'Tolumnia' for registration purposes, seems like it was within
the last five years or so, though.

There isn't any formal process for changing the name of a species - it
is kind of a 'throw it at the wall and hope it sticks' method. If
enough people think you are right, then they will use the name you use,
and eventually that becomes the 'right' name.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1