Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Henry

Bear Drummer wrote:
Greetings from a newbie who wants to do it right...

We have a mostly sunny spot to plant it...

That's what you want since all roses do better in full sun than anywhere
else.

We live in a rather clay rich area at the bottom of the hills - we have
a plugged up ditch that almost never runs out of water, so there are
drainage issues.

Roses don't like wet feet so away from permanently wet ares are best.
Make your hole as big (and deep) as you reasonably can and supplement
the soil with lots of organic matter. This will help with drainage as
long as you are not creating a clay tub filled with nice soil.

The rooting has been sitting in the bucket for over a week now, while I
"discussed" a location to put it with my mother. - the location is at
the end of the driveway where it will have sun most of the day.

If it has roots, you can keep it alive in the bucket for quite a while
but it will do better in the ground so plant it sooner, rather than
later if you can. Also, don't let the water in the bucket get too old.
Replace with fresh water every day or two.

Hope it goes well.

--
Henry