Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Travis

Leon Trollski wrote:
"michelestokes" wrote in
message ...

Leon Trollski Wrote:
"michelestokes" wrote in
message

Oh, now you have me realy worried. It's more or less the same
height, maybe a foot higher at most.

--
michelestokes

Sounds like you are surrounded then by peat bog, more or less?

Enjoy the birds.

Seriously, there are things you can do.

Dig a hole and observe how fast it fills up with water. Do this at
several spots. Does it fill up quickly?

Are there neighbors? What have they done?
Research. Speak to local officials for suggestions.

Does the bog dry up in summer?

If your property is *slightly* higher, you could sink weeping tile
a foot down or so, to drain away your soil. If this works on an
experimental basis, you can proceed to add sand and gravel to your
topsoil, to lighten and further improve drainage, and add more
weeping tile.

In any case, you have a very large task ahead of you.
Please indulge my curiosity: didn't you examine the property before
buying?!?

In some parts of the country it is illegal to drain a wetland.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5