Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
davek

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
In message , Phil L
writes
Over the past few years I have noticed a lot of farms getting stuff
delivered in huge loads, it looks like the stuff used under drives (crush
&
run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior to
tarmaccing.

It's probably road planings. Highway contractors flog it to farmers (and
caravan sites like our club). Lay it four inches thick and with plenty of
traffic it flattens down into a reasonable metalled surface.
Used to buy it for about a fiver a ton but havn't been able to buy it in any
quantity for the past year or so because it's now classed as a bio hazard!
Even the local authority works yard has to store it in skips or their own
environ'mental' people get upset.
Apparently when it rains the runoff could pollute water courses. (Just like
on the highway where it came from).
It's getting in short supply because someone's invented a machine that tears
up the old road surface, chips it up, boils it in a furnace, mixes it with a
bit of new bitumen and lays it back on the road - all in one go.
DaveK.