Old 03-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Phil L

Default what is the 'shale' used by farmers?

Over the past few years I have noticed a lot of farms getting stuff
delivered in huge loads, it looks like the stuff used under drives (crush &
run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior to
tarmaccing.
They are getting it tipped in the fields? - sometimes there is a small
mountain of it delivered - it can't be good for the fields if it *is* this
stuff, there is lots of 'rocks' in it about 3 - 6 inches across...is it some
kind of hardened fertilizer?

One feild near here had over 100 tonnes delivered, (the stack was about 10
ft high and 30 ft by 30 ft) surely they can't all be having drives laid?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Phil L
writes
Over the past few years I have noticed a lot of farms getting stuff
delivered in huge loads, it looks like the stuff used under drives (crush &
run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior to
tarmaccing.
They are getting it tipped in the fields? - sometimes there is a small
mountain of it delivered - it can't be good for the fields if it *is* this
stuff, there is lots of 'rocks' in it about 3 - 6 inches across...is it some
kind of hardened fertilizer?

One feild near here had over 100 tonnes delivered, (the stack was about 10
ft high and 30 ft by 30 ft) surely they can't all be having drives laid?

It is quite possibly for soakaways for drainage
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
davek

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
In message , Phil L
writes
&
run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior to
tarmaccing.

It's probably road planings. Highway contractors flog it to farmers (and
caravan sites like our club). Lay it four inches thick and with plenty of
traffic it flattens down into a reasonable metalled surface.
Used to buy it for about a fiver a ton but havn't been able to buy it in any
quantity for the past year or so because it's now classed as a bio hazard!
Even the local authority works yard has to store it in skips or their own
environ'mental' people get upset.
Apparently when it rains the runoff could pollute water courses. (Just like
on the highway where it came from).
It's getting in short supply because someone's invented a machine that tears
up the old road surface, chips it up, boils it in a furnace, mixes it with a
bit of new bitumen and lays it back on the road - all in one go.
DaveK.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 4 May 2005 08:24:17 +0100, Sue Begg wrote:

there is lots of 'rocks' in it about 3 - 6 inches across...is it
some kind of hardened fertilizer?

One feild near here had over 100 tonnes delivered,

It is quite possibly for soakaways for drainage

Go and take a closer look is it really stone? What colour is it? It
may be the residue from sugar production. This is used as a fertilizer
on poor soils.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 04-05-2005, 05:09 PM
John

In article ,
"davek" wrote:

It's getting in short supply because someone's invented a machine that tears
up the old road surface, chips it up, boils it in a furnace, mixes it with a
bit of new bitumen and lays it back on the road - all in one go.

I can't believe it! Sounds too good to be true.
[If only someone would do the same for plastic containers.]

john

Old 04-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Phil L

davek wrote:
:: "Sue Begg" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In message ,
::: Phil L writes
:::: Over the past few years I have noticed a lot of farms getting
:::: stuff delivered in huge loads, it looks like the stuff used
:::: under drives (crush &
:::: run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior
:::: to tarmaccing.
::
[...]

Definately not tarmac chippings, and this system of re-using the old stuff
has been around for almost a decade, no, it's grey-blue in colour and looks
exactly like 'crush & run' - if this is what it actually is, I can't fathom
why so many farmers would require such huge quantities of it.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Phil L

Dave Liquorice wrote:
:: On Wed, 4 May 2005 08:24:17 +0100, Sue Begg wrote:
::
:::: there is lots of 'rocks' in it about 3 - 6 inches across...is it
:::: some kind of hardened fertilizer?
::::
:::: One feild near here had over 100 tonnes delivered,
:::
::: It is quite possibly for soakaways for drainage
::
:: Go and take a closer look is it really stone? What colour is it? It
:: may be the residue from sugar production. This is used as a
:: fertilizer on poor soils.

It's a bluey-greyish colour and has lumps in it ranging from vey small up to
about 5 inches...it looks the type of stuff that you couldn't dig with
spade, you'd have to move it by shovel or in larger quantities, dumper
truck.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Cargo

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Over the past few years I have noticed a lot of farms getting stuff
delivered in huge loads, it looks like the stuff used under drives (crush
&
run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior to
tarmaccing.
They are getting it tipped in the fields? - sometimes there is a small
mountain of it delivered - it can't be good for the fields if it *is* this
stuff, there is lots of 'rocks' in it about 3 - 6 inches across...is it
some
kind of hardened fertilizer?

One feild near here had over 100 tonnes delivered, (the stack was about 10
ft high and 30 ft by 30 ft) surely they can't all be having drives laid?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

If you watched the TV last night ref the guy dumping contaminated waste on
adjacent fields, I would not go anywhere near that stuff.

dj

Any tropcal or temperate farmers or hobby farmers here? Loosecanon Australia 6 03-10-2010 11:04 AM
Groundhog Shale pixi Gardening 0 13-06-2004 04:03 PM
Expanded Shale for Houston Gumbo soil J Kolenovsky Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Expanded Shale J Kolenovsky Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Expanded Shale for clay/gumbo soils J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 08-02-2003 01:49 PM