Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Reel McKoi

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
This question is cross-posted between rec.pets.herp and rec.ponds,
since I have found both groups to be helpful, but didn't know who to
direct this question to.

I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard, with a
small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

I want to put plants and a few goldfish in the pond to keep the water
clean. The fish are to "process" the turtle waste,

$$ The fish will not EAT the turtle's waste - if you mean their stool. You
will need a filter to "process" that.

since the turtles
like to defecate in the water, and it often comes out in chunks (this
is per the suggestion of a rec.ponds person).

$$ I never saw any of my fish, rosy reds, goldfish or koi eat/process turtle
waste.

However, I am worried about transmitting pathogens/parasites to my
turtles. I would quarantine the fish of course, and soak the plants in
something.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

$$ A good quality heavy duty pump and filter? ;-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...