Old 04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
john

Default pond in my turtle cage

This question is cross-posted between rec.pets.herp and rec.ponds,
since I have found both groups to be helpful, but didn't know who to
direct this question to.

I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard, with a
small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

I want to put plants and a few goldfish in the pond to keep the water
clean. The fish are to "process" the turtle waste, since the turtles
like to defecate in the water, and it often comes out in chunks (this
is per the suggestion of a rec.ponds person).

However, I am worried about transmitting pathogens/parasites to my
turtles. I would quarantine the fish of course, and soak the plants in
something.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Reel McKoi

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
This question is cross-posted between rec.pets.herp and rec.ponds,
since I have found both groups to be helpful, but didn't know who to
direct this question to.

I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard, with a
small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

I want to put plants and a few goldfish in the pond to keep the water
clean. The fish are to "process" the turtle waste,

$$ The fish will not EAT the turtle's waste - if you mean their stool. You
will need a filter to "process" that.

since the turtles
like to defecate in the water, and it often comes out in chunks (this
is per the suggestion of a rec.ponds person).

$$ I never saw any of my fish, rosy reds, goldfish or koi eat/process turtle
waste.

However, I am worried about transmitting pathogens/parasites to my
turtles. I would quarantine the fish of course, and soak the plants in
something.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

$$ A good quality heavy duty pump and filter? ;-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
San Diego Joe

"john" wrote:

This question is cross-posted between rec.pets.herp and rec.ponds,
since I have found both groups to be helpful, but didn't know who to
direct this question to.

I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard, with a
small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

I want to put plants and a few goldfish in the pond to keep the water
clean. The fish are to "process" the turtle waste, since the turtles
like to defecate in the water, and it often comes out in chunks (this
is per the suggestion of a rec.ponds person).

That sounds wrong to me.

However, I am worried about transmitting pathogens/parasites to my
turtles. I would quarantine the fish of course, and soak the plants in
something.

I've never (to my knowledge) had a fish make my turtle sick or vice versa.
Turtles are natural carriers of salmonella however.

I have a red eared slider in my pond. I mention this only to show a some
turtle experience. I have no knowledge of box turtles (other than they look
way cool). I didn't see the thread here about fish "processing" turtle
waste, but to be honest, I just don't see that happening. First, even if the
defecate matter is large, and even if some fish eat some of it, turtles
generate a huge quantity of poop. There will also be the smaller matter that
fish may or may not eat. Additionally, lets say the fish DO eat it ALL, it's
still going to come out somewhere (I think this is the fifth law of Physics,
conservation of crap, also found in government.) This will eventually have
to be removed. That will involve water changes and you will have the hassle
of having to dechlorinate the water every time so your fish don't die.

I think a far simpler method would be to have no fish and:

A) make the pool removable so you can dump it weekly.
B) get a serious filter if you want the plants
C) if the pool isn't easily moveable, pump the dirty water out weekly.

Just as an aside, kiddy pools don't last long as operating ponds, the UV
gets them or they puncture. You might consider a preformed pond instead.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
kathy

I agree with Joe --- "Additionally, lets say the fish DO eat it ALL,
it's
still going to come out somewhere (I think this is the fifth law of
Physics,
conservation of crap, also found in government.)" ---- such a good
line
I had to post it again... ;-)

Anyway.
Following the one of the first rules of pond keeping -
smaller is harder to manage than bigger - that's where you
are going to run into problems. A real high biological load
for a small body of water.

Cleaning is going to be your biggest chore and I'd think
entirely on those lines.

In regular ponds bottom drains come in really handy for
cleaning. If you don't have one you end up draining the pond,
catching the fish and scooping the poop. (we do that but we
have two handy, dandy teenage boys)

I'm betting the folks are rec.herps will have some great solutions.
I have had turtles come in my large pond and they were no problem at
all. We run a 150 gallon stock tank filter for 3,000 gallons.
Very personable critters.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
new this week - turtles!

Old 05-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Cindy

Fish don't eat poop.
It's the plants that will "process" the turtle waste AND fish waste.
Get a filter.

Cindy

Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 AM
john

Ahh ok let's forget about the goldfish eating the poop, as it seems to
be incorrect. I explained that because I thought someone might ask why
I was including goldfish, but it turned out to be more of a distraction
itself

So I probably wouldn't need to worry about the turtle's health then, as
long as I keep the water clean?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
kathy

Yes, I expect it is the same for turtles as fish,
in a real general sense ;-)
that most of the health problems with them
usually stems from water quality.
Clean water = healthy fish (and critters).

kathy :-)

Old 05-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Grainne Gillespie

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Yeah, what remains of the fish floating around after the turtles have made a
meal out of them

Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
This question is cross-posted between rec.pets.herp and rec.ponds,
since I have found both groups to be helpful, but didn't know who to
direct this question to.

I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard, with a
small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

I want to put plants and a few goldfish in the pond to keep the water
clean. The fish are to "process" the turtle waste, since the turtles
like to defecate in the water, and it often comes out in chunks (this
is per the suggestion of a rec.ponds person).

However, I am worried about transmitting pathogens/parasites to my
turtles. I would quarantine the fish of course, and soak the plants in
something.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?
I think fish will add to your problem. I have a suggestion. You could cover the bottom with river rock (not pebbles or gravel) and bareroot some aquatic plants around the sides anchoring them with stone. I would research which plants can be hazardous to your turtle but I am betting that water celery is not. The plants will process some of the waste. Clean up should be relatively easy- but you may have to remove the rocks for a really good cleaning. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Cindy

Grainne Gillespie wrote:
Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Yeah, what remains of the fish floating around after the turtles have
made a meal out of them

HEHE yeah turtles love fish!

Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Terry

"john" I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard,
with a small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

Seems like a lot of trouble for BOX turtles that are just going to cool off
in the water. How many box turtles? how big is the pool?

Old 05-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Reel McKoi

"Terry" wrote in message
"john" I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard,
with a small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

Seems like a lot of trouble for BOX turtles that are just going to cool

off
in the water. How many box turtles? how big is the pool?

I sometimes find a wild box turtle soaking in my small inground, un-netted
150 gallon pond. No problems with any stool they pass but then there is a
small filter and pump that also runs the small waterfall. I haven't seen
any harm done to the rosy reds or goldfish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and