Old 04-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Phil L

davek wrote:
:: "Sue Begg" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In message ,
::: Phil L writes
:::: Over the past few years I have noticed a lot of farms getting
:::: stuff delivered in huge loads, it looks like the stuff used
:::: under drives (crush &
:::: run), the type of stuff used to fill in holes in the road prior
:::: to tarmaccing.
::
:: It's probably road planings. Highway contractors flog it to
:: farmers (and caravan sites like our club). Lay it four inches
:: thick and with plenty of traffic it flattens down into a
:: reasonable metalled surface.
:: Used to buy it for about a fiver a ton but havn't been able to buy
:: it in any quantity for the past year or so because it's now
:: classed as a bio hazard! Even the local authority works yard has
:: to store it in skips or their own environ'mental' people get upset.
:: Apparently when it rains the runoff could pollute water courses.
:: (Just like on the highway where it came from).
:: It's getting in short supply because someone's invented a machine
:: that tears up the old road surface, chips it up, boils it in a
:: furnace, mixes it with a bit of new bitumen and lays it back on
:: the road - all in one go.
:: DaveK.

Definately not tarmac chippings, and this system of re-using the old stuff
has been around for almost a decade, no, it's grey-blue in colour and looks
exactly like 'crush & run' - if this is what it actually is, I can't fathom
why so many farmers would require such huge quantities of it.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.