Old 04-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Henry

BearDrummer wrote:
I am afraid that the "clay tub filled with nice soil" is exactly what
anywhere in the yard would be. I am The lady next door, who has nice
roses, told me to just dig a hole, and put it in.... That is how she
does it. I am hoping for a little more info for my wee little brain...

Obviously without seeing your site, I'm just guessing here but if you
have a lot that slopes, you can dig a hole and then dig out the downhill
side until it is opened up. Then make the bottom of that hole slop down
a bit so that water doesn't pool in the bottom. Fill the whole thing up
and tamp it down well, replanting grass on the downward slop, if you
like. Then, dig a small hole in the newly filled hole to plant your
rose. Does that make sense? The idea is to produce something that
doesn't fill up with water.

Also, to build a raised bed, you don't have to spend money if you can
find some rocks that can be used to surround the area. Dig your hole
and fill with better soil. Then, pile up some rocks around that hole
and fill the area inside the circle of rocks with more soil. Depending
on the size and shape of the rocks you can build enough height to make a
difference.

--
Henry