Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
San Diego Joe

"john" wrote:

This question is cross-posted between rec.pets.herp and rec.ponds,
since I have found both groups to be helpful, but didn't know who to
direct this question to.

I installed a kiddie pool in my box turtle enclosure in my yard, with a
small circulation pump and embankment so the turtles can get in and
out.

I want to put plants and a few goldfish in the pond to keep the water
clean. The fish are to "process" the turtle waste, since the turtles
like to defecate in the water, and it often comes out in chunks (this
is per the suggestion of a rec.ponds person).

That sounds wrong to me.

However, I am worried about transmitting pathogens/parasites to my
turtles. I would quarantine the fish of course, and soak the plants in
something.

I've never (to my knowledge) had a fish make my turtle sick or vice versa.
Turtles are natural carriers of salmonella however.

I have a red eared slider in my pond. I mention this only to show a some
turtle experience. I have no knowledge of box turtles (other than they look
way cool). I didn't see the thread here about fish "processing" turtle
waste, but to be honest, I just don't see that happening. First, even if the
defecate matter is large, and even if some fish eat some of it, turtles
generate a huge quantity of poop. There will also be the smaller matter that
fish may or may not eat. Additionally, lets say the fish DO eat it ALL, it's
still going to come out somewhere (I think this is the fifth law of Physics,
conservation of crap, also found in government.) This will eventually have
to be removed. That will involve water changes and you will have the hassle
of having to dechlorinate the water every time so your fish don't die.

I think a far simpler method would be to have no fish and:

A) make the pool removable so you can dump it weekly.
B) get a serious filter if you want the plants
C) if the pool isn't easily moveable, pump the dirty water out weekly.

Just as an aside, kiddy pools don't last long as operating ponds, the UV
gets them or they puncture. You might consider a preformed pond instead.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"