Old 04-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Ferhat

Thanks a lot for the information. I have both a rose garden and a vegetable
garden that I was planning to use this mulch on.

-- Ferhat

. ..
On 2005-05-03, Ferhat wrote:
I am planning to put some mulch in my garden. A friend told me that some
mulch might attract termites. Any suggestions on this? My options are
Hardwood,Pine or Redwood/Cedar Mulch. I'm thinking Hardwood would be the
best bet here but I'm not sure. Thanks

-- Ferhat

When you say garden, do you mean vegetable, flowers, or shrubs?

For vegetables, I suggest leaves, newspapers or a combo of both.

Any of the ones you mention would be fine for flowers and shrubs.

I also have heard that hardwood mulch attracts termites, but I think
Tomatolord's post may be accurate that it is an urban legend. I have
seen termites in dead roots and pieces of wood, but I don't think they
are particularly attracted to wood chips since they are not condusive
to tunneling and boring. It would be a last resort for desperate
termites under very drastic conditions (drought) and the only source of
wood near the water was woodchips.

here is one url: It packs in a good synopsis of mulch.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1604.htm

They say pinebark and woodchips "may" attract termites but they do not
put that caveat by shredded hardwood mulch.

is a garbage address.