Old 03-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Ferhat

Default Need mulch advice

I am planning to put some mulch in my garden. A friend told me that some
mulch might attract termites. Any suggestions on this? My options are
Hardwood,Pine or Redwood/Cedar Mulch. I'm thinking Hardwood would be the
best bet here but I'm not sure. Thanks

-- Ferhat

Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 PM
birish

Cedar is the natural deterrent to the pests and it lasts longer because
it takes longer to break down.. It will cost you more per square yard.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
tomatolord

No it does not attrack termites

Termites look for a WATER source and Cellulose (paper.wood etc)

I do not have any termites under any of my mulch and I chip most of mine
from my yard waste

Just another urban legend

.. .

Old 04-05-2005, 05:21 PM

On 2005-05-03, Ferhat wrote:
I am planning to put some mulch in my garden. A friend told me that some
mulch might attract termites. Any suggestions on this? My options are
Hardwood,Pine or Redwood/Cedar Mulch. I'm thinking Hardwood would be the
best bet here but I'm not sure. Thanks

-- Ferhat

When you say garden, do you mean vegetable, flowers, or shrubs?

For vegetables, I suggest leaves, newspapers or a combo of both.

Any of the ones you mention would be fine for flowers and shrubs.

I also have heard that hardwood mulch attracts termites, but I think
Tomatolord's post may be accurate that it is an urban legend. I have
seen termites in dead roots and pieces of wood, but I don't think they
are particularly attracted to wood chips since they are not condusive
to tunneling and boring. It would be a last resort for desperate
termites under very drastic conditions (drought) and the only source of
wood near the water was woodchips.

here is one url: It packs in a good synopsis of mulch.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1604.htm

They say pinebark and woodchips "may" attract termites but they do not
put that caveat by shredded hardwood mulch.

is a garbage address.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:34 PM

So, is there anywhere in the area that has cheaper mulch than the Lowe's
options? Not that they're awfully expensive, but I may be looking at
acquiring a fair bit of it soon.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Ferhat

I was planning to get mine from Family Home & Garden. They sell for
$18/cu.yard for pine and hardwood mulch, $30 for redwood/cedar mulch

-- Ferhat

pub.duke.edu...

Old 04-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Ferhat

Thanks a lot for the information. I have both a rose garden and a vegetable
garden that I was planning to use this mulch on.

-- Ferhat

. ..

Old 05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
fernvalley

I think the difference in price is due to the difference in materials
being delivered. Triple ground hardwood (which Doc quoted at $18/cubic
yard) is different than cypress mulch which runs about $1.15 per cubic
foot ($2.30 for 2 cu.ft.bag or $31.05 per cubic yard in bags) I find
that the cypress mulch lasts about three years where the general
hardwood triple shred is gone after two years.