Old 05-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Rhonda Anderson

"J. Davidson" wrote in news:OJ8ee.10212$iU.1924
@lakeread05:

Has anyone eaten the fruit from this plant?
Jackie

Yes, many years ago. As a child I remember my father bringing the fruit
of this home on several occasions. Perhaps a colleague gave them to him.
The plant is known as "fruit salad plant" here, and IIRC it's an
appropriate name - the fruit tasted like a combination of tropical
fruits. Mostly I remember the smell of the fruits, though - very
aromatic.

On searching out some information I found that you should only eat ripe
fruit - the unripe fruit and other parts of the plant are high in oxalic
acid and will irritate the mouth and throat. You will know when the fruit
is ripe enough as the skin starts to fall off by itself. Not for the
impatient, though - the fruit takes about 12 months from flowering to
maturity.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/business/8392.html
http://www.foodreference.com/html/fceriman.html
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/fruit_garden/113931