Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Ray

I pay about $0.40 more for propane than does Rob to heat my GH, but about
$0.45 less for oil for my home heating and hot water.

Irrespective of the fuel cost, the choice of heater makes a BIG difference.
When I replaced my Modine "high efficiency" heater (old design with vertical
heat exchanger) with a Reznor (like the Modine "Hot Dawg" but with separated
combustion), my fuel consumption dropped like a rock, and I paid for the new
heater in less than two seasons based on that savings. Even with the fuel
cost being almost double what it was when I bought the heater, my annual
expenditure on propane is still lower.

"Al" wrote in message
I was just wondering what type of fuel people are using in their
greenhouses and what the cost per unit is where ever you are...

I'll start
Last summer I locked in a price cap rate of $1.499 per gallon of fuel oil.
Most of the winter it was delivered at a cost of $1.479 per gallon but in
February it went to the cap rate and stayed there.

I just received a notice that I can lock in a rate of $1.949 per gallon
through April 0f 2006 if I act quickly.

Are heating oil prices this high everywhere?

I am not going to admit how many gallons I use a winter, so if you ask I
will pretend I didn't see.