Old 05-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Harold Walker

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Oxymel of Squill wrote:
:: he's a mad **** searching desperately for something novel to pad
:: out his column and secure a cheque. Might as well grow the toms in
:: pots.

It certainly isn't new, my dad was doing this twenty-odd years ago....you
are just adding extra growing space really and of course providing a
resevoir for water....can't say I noticed any difference in toms grown
this
way and those planted straight into the bag, or even those planted in
buckets for that matter...what really makes a diference is toms planted
directly into 'virgin' soil (in a new greenhouse for example) - IME these
seem to go berserk!

I find I can get every bit as good results via growing in buckets as I can
growing in the ground...the larger the bucket the better..when using a
bucket I use one that holds 5 gallons of water....big enough so that I do
not have to water every day...just for demo purposes I grew one in a bucket
and allowed it to grow to 14 feet tall with hands all the way up....I must
admit tho in the bucket they require constant attention re
watering/fertilizing....as to what to grow it in....one can get just as good
results using nowt but sawdust instead of soil providing the feeding is up
to snuff....HW

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.