Old 06-05-2005, 12:43 AM
andrewpreece

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Oxymel of Squill wrote:
:: he's a mad **** searching desperately for something novel to pad
:: out his column and secure a cheque. Might as well grow the toms in
:: pots.

It certainly isn't new, my dad was doing this twenty-odd years

ago....you
are just adding extra growing space really and of course providing a
resevoir for water....can't say I noticed any difference in toms grown
this
way and those planted straight into the bag, or even those planted in
buckets for that matter...what really makes a diference is toms planted
directly into 'virgin' soil (in a new greenhouse for example) - IME

these
seem to go berserk!

I grow my toms in the green house, but I dig the soil over in the
greenhouse
border then pour most of a growbag of compost on top. Even if the soil is
not
at it's best anymore at least the toms have a chance to reach moisture in
the
soil to tide them over if I forget to water them like clockwork. A bit of
plastic with
holes cut in it laid over the top reduces water evaporation from the soil.

Andy.

Andy.