Old 06-05-2005, 04:08 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB
Many thanks! I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening books I had, but it's a very specific question. I'm grateful for your expertise!

David

Hi David,
The major concern would be the spacing. They will grow to 6' to 8'wide or more, so space them accordingly.
http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
Newt
David, you are very welcome. I meant to tell you that yews have extensive root systems when they mature, so try and make your box without a bottom so the roots can grow into the native soil.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.