Old 06-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Tiger303 writes:

| [ L. x tellmanniana and (to some extent) some other Lonicera ]
|
| interesting that Nick believes they suffer in too much shade as i
| remember reading recently they also suffer if they get full sun as they
| get crisped in the heat of summer. perhaps a happy medium is whats
| needed

Yes, I have read that, too. It is almost entirely nonsense when
applied to the UK. Compared with even Mediterranean climates,
the UK's peak sun strength and warmest days are weak and cool.
Some plants adapted to northern Europe can suffer, but it doesn't
really apply even to L. periclymenum, and ones that come from
southern Europe, north America and Asia almost never do. There
are few places there that have summers as cool as ours and sun
as weak that do not have such cold winters that few woody plants
thrive.

L. x tellmanniana is a cross between a north American and an
Asian honeysuckle, which could be why it can't take shade in
our feeble summers. And, because I have done what is effectively
a controlled experiment over many years, I am certain of my
conclusions about its need for sun (at least in my garden).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.