Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

It certainly isn't new, my dad was doing this twenty-odd years ago....you
are just adding extra growing space really and of course providing a
resevoir for water....can't say I noticed any difference in toms grown this
way and those planted straight into the bag, or even those planted in
buckets for that matter...what really makes a diference is toms planted
directly into 'virgin' soil (in a new greenhouse for example) - IME these
seem to go berserk!

Indeed: on the holding I kept all sorts of poultry, goats and rabbits.
In the autumn I dug well-rotted rabbit and goat manure into the three
beds in the greenhouse. In the spring, as you say, three different
varieties of tomato raced for the stratosphere, but had to stop at
around seven feet.

The flavour was outstanding and the crop could only come under the
heading of 'bumper'. I usually grew Shirley, Alicante and Ailsa Craig,
and rarely had any over at the end of the day's sales.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/