Old 07-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 5/6/2005 7:22:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Since the last potting two years ago it has grown quite nicely; however, it
has developed a large secondary root growing directly underneath a surface
root. This secondary root is now pushing the primary root out of the soil.
I've been considering removing one of the two roots.
Not sure which one.

Since removal will leave a visible scar if done above the soil line, I
might cut the secondary root.

Can anyone recommend the best method of removing a large root and sealing
it against bad things?

In my experience the Ficus sap provides its own sealer. I don't seal
Ficus cuts.

I am in Florida but 100 miles north of Jim Smith's nursery. That 100
miles means I am in the southern par of Zone 9 and Jim Smith is in Zone 10.
(The slogan for Vero Beach where Jim Smith's nursery is located is "Where the
tropics begin." That is not geographically correct but a lot of stuff in Florida
is hype.)

I would wait until warm weather to make the cuts, but ASAP, so the
tree can use the warm weather to recover.

I have a lot of Ficus

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++