Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Ficus Root Chop ?

Greetings All;

I have a Ficus Retusa that could stand re-potting.
Since the last potting two years ago it has grown quite nicely; however, it
has developed a large secondary root growing directly underneath a surface
root.
This secondary root is now pushing the primary root out of the soil.
I've been considering removing one of the two roots.
Not sure which one.

Can anyone recommend the best method of removing a large root and sealing it
against bad things?
And .... should I attempt this project this time of year ?
The tree seems healthy.

Thanks
Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 6

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Bart Thomas

Mark:

I did something even more drastic (with a chainsaw!) in New Jersey , but
along the same lines, last August, at the urging of Jim Smith, who
originally grew the tree.

It is documented on Jerry Meislick's site at:

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/...echnique8.html

I'd wait until the heat of Summer is upon us. And keep the tree damp and in
the shade for a couple of weeks after

BTW, the tree never even dropped a leaf.

Good luck.

Talk it over with Jim Doyle.

Bart
I have a Ficus Retusa that could stand re-potting.
Since the last potting two years ago it has grown quite nicely; however,
it
has developed a large secondary root growing directly underneath a surface
root.
This secondary root is now pushing the primary root out of the soil.
I've been considering removing one of the two roots.
Not sure which one.

Can anyone recommend the best method of removing a large root and sealing
it
against bad things?
And .... should I attempt this project this time of year ?
The tree seems healthy.

Thanks
Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 6

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Mark Hill

YIKES !!!

I'd be scared ****less to try something like that Bart !
Here I am concerned about one little root, and you've performed chain-saw
surgery on the entire root base.
Amazing.
You didn't apply any sealing goop to the cut ?
I'm concerned about encouraging root rot or something.

I'll take your advice and wait until the sun comes out in earnest.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Bart Thomas

I'd never have dared try it without Jim Smith's urging.

I talked it over with him while visiting his Dura-Stone Nursery in Vero
Beach last July.

No goop! (Wanted to encourage root growth wherever they wanted to grow.)

This was a nerifolia. Tough trees.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Steve wachs

I live on LI NY so naturally i would not be able to grow Ficus like in fla.
However I do grow a Ficus that forms a heavy root. I thought it was a f.
Retusa ,but I am not sure. I root from cutting so I have many. When they form the
heavy root I consider it a lpus and develop the tree around that root

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 06-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Bart Thomas

They do it in Florida. I failed.

Bart
Is it possible to create another tree from the root I remove ?

Old 06-05-2005, 11:51 PM
michael wildey

Good evening Mark

This could be the tap root, cut it of as it will grow down wards and push
the tree up.

to seal the cut use a japanned cut paste.

All the best

Mick wildey.

T.COM...

Old 07-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 5/6/2005 7:22:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Since the last potting two years ago it has grown quite nicely; however, it
has developed a large secondary root growing directly underneath a surface
root. This secondary root is now pushing the primary root out of the soil.
I've been considering removing one of the two roots.
Not sure which one.

Since removal will leave a visible scar if done above the soil line, I
might cut the secondary root.

Can anyone recommend the best method of removing a large root and sealing
it against bad things?

In my experience the Ficus sap provides its own sealer. I don't seal
Ficus cuts.

I am in Florida but 100 miles north of Jim Smith's nursery. That 100
miles means I am in the southern par of Zone 9 and Jim Smith is in Zone 10.
(The slogan for Vero Beach where Jim Smith's nursery is located is "Where the
tropics begin." That is not geographically correct but a lot of stuff in Florida
is hype.)

I would wait until warm weather to make the cuts, but ASAP, so the
tree can use the warm weather to recover.

I have a lot of Ficus

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Old 07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Anil Kaushik

Mark

Yes, very much! I have done it many times on different species of Ficus as well as on Chinese elm. But I am not sure of the same in your climate. You can give it a try but it will be worth waiting for some time till the temperature goes up a few degrees more. However you may encounter a problem. Since the root will become the trunk, it will have a nice INVERSE TAPER! I do not know if such a tree exists in nature, but that is going to be a flaw as per the Bonsai RULE.

Tomorrow I will post a picture on the *Potensai Gallery* showing a Bonsai being trained from the tapered taproot of a Ficus.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"