Old 09-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Pauline Muth

Hi
You are correct. If you cut the tip, you will encourgae buds to break on
the trunk and form branches.
The same will apply to the side branches. Cutting the tips will encourage
side secondary branches.
For elms I allow 4 to 5 pairs of leaves to develop on branches , then I cut
back to one set. This procedure develops good
branching ( raminifcation).
Pauline
Zone 4