Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm (non) branching

Too many questions from me lately, I know, but as I
get involved more and more, I face new challenges
every day.

I started a Chinese Elm from seed a few months ago,
and now the seedling has developed into a nice,
straight 8-inch long trunk that has no branches at
all.
It just keeps growing and growing, producing new
leaves, getting taller but no branches have been
formed yet.

Can I induce branching by cutting the top off just
above a pair of leaves ?
How can I make it stop getting taller and direct most
if its energy into growing sideways ?

thanks (again)
Dimitris

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Pauline Muth

Hi
You are correct. If you cut the tip, you will encourgae buds to break on
the trunk and form branches.
The same will apply to the side branches. Cutting the tips will encourage
side secondary branches.
For elms I allow 4 to 5 pairs of leaves to develop on branches , then I cut
back to one set. This procedure develops good
branching ( raminifcation).
Pauline
Zone 4

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Jim Lewis

Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:

Can I induce branching by cutting the top off just
above a pair of leaves ?

Yes.

How can I make it stop getting taller and direct most
if its energy into growing sideways ?

See above.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Old 09-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Steven Wachs

It sounds like it;s growing nicely. The longer you let that single part grow
the thicker the base of the trunk will get. Patience is the idea here. Just
leave it for now.

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 09-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Kitsune Miko

Brent Walston has many excellent articles at his site.
The one I think that will answer your question best
at this time is:

http://evergreengardenworks.com/pruning.htm

It tells you the why as well as the what. Hopefully
you have a bunch of elm seedlings and can
experiment/learn by treating each differently and
studying the results.

Remember that trees think slowly and if you do too
many things to them at one time they can die fom
confusion.

Kits

--- Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:
Too many questions from me lately, I know, but as I
get involved more and more, I face new challenges
every day.

I started a Chinese Elm from seed a few months ago,
and now the seedling has developed into a nice,
straight 8-inch long trunk that has no branches at
all.
It just keeps growing and growing, producing new
leaves, getting taller but no branches have been
formed yet.

Can I induce branching by cutting the top off just
above a pair of leaves ?
How can I make it stop getting taller and direct
most
if its energy into growing sideways ?

thanks (again)
Dimitris

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your
mobile phone.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue
Crabtree++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Michael Persiano

Dimitrios:

Can you post an image of the tree? I will then advise you on how to best manage the energy of the tree.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 09-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Jim Lewis

Michael Persiano wrote:
Dimitrios:

Can you post an image of the tree? I will then advise you on how to best manage the energy of the tree.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Ifhe doesn't have a website, he can post a pic at

www.internetbonsaiclub.org in the "potensai" gallery.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature