Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
LARGE GOONER wrote:

The name of the honeysuckle is lonicera japonica and its situated in
sun with shade at the base .

Grrk. Well, it's not the same problem as with my L. x tellmanniana,
then.

My normal treatment of such things is to spray soft soap on the worst
infections and leave the others to ladybirds etc. But this is
Cambridge, where humidities are usually fairly low (by UK standards).

If your honeysuckle isn't exposed to the rain, then honeydew will
collect and get mildew. If THAT is the cause, the solution is to
wash it off with plain water, perhaps with a bit of detergent or
soft soap in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Lonicera japonica is well known for doing this especially some forms, the
only time its is truly happy is when it is growing in a swamp - then it can
be too happy! The form Lonicera japonica 'Acumen' is the best for no leaf
problems but does not have the best flowers, the best evergreen scented
honeysuckle by a mile is Lonicera similis delavayi, that is however a bit
tender.
So try copious watering or better still dig it up!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk