Old 09-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Robert Steed wrote:
Hi there,

I'm sure I do not know what I am doing. I just planted some Japanese Red
Maple seeds into an indoor pot. What sort of preparation should I have done
first?

1. They don't want to be planted deep. Laid on surface with
soil sprinkled over them is best.

1.a. Keep the soil just barely damp. Not damp, not moist, not
wet, not soggy -- just barely damp. But don't let it dry out.
That's a very narrow window.
1.b. The above is especially important when seeds have germinated.

2. They do NOT belong indoors; they may -- repeat may -- sprout,
but the seedlings will die indoors.

3. Put the seeds and seedlings outside, protected from heavy
rain and exposed to morning sun.

4. Depending on what kind of a maple these seeds were from,
germination can range between 0 and 60%. Do not expect the
seedlings to be true to the parent.

Be patient. It will be a *very* long time before these reach any
size large enough to start bonsai techniques on.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly owned
subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++