Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Robert Steed

Default growing bonsai seeds

Hi there,

I'm sure I do not know what I am doing. I just planted some Japanese Red
Maple seeds into an indoor pot. What sort of preparation should I have done
first?

Old 09-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Robert Steed wrote:
Hi there,

I'm sure I do not know what I am doing. I just planted some Japanese Red
Maple seeds into an indoor pot. What sort of preparation should I have done
first?

1. They don't want to be planted deep. Laid on surface with
soil sprinkled over them is best.

1.a. Keep the soil just barely damp. Not damp, not moist, not
wet, not soggy -- just barely damp. But don't let it dry out.
That's a very narrow window.
1.b. The above is especially important when seeds have germinated.

2. They do NOT belong indoors; they may -- repeat may -- sprout,
but the seedlings will die indoors.

3. Put the seeds and seedlings outside, protected from heavy
rain and exposed to morning sun.

4. Depending on what kind of a maple these seeds were from,
germination can range between 0 and 60%. Do not expect the
seedlings to be true to the parent.

Be patient. It will be a *very* long time before these reach any
size large enough to start bonsai techniques on.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly owned
subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Kev Bailey

Maple seed need to be stratified to break dormancy. They should have been
exposed to low temperatures either naturally or in the fridge. Then they
should be sown in slightly warmer conditions.

There are a couple of articles he
http://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/seed1.htm

Good luck.

Kev Bailey
Zone 9
N. Wales, U.K.

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/

Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 AM
MartyWeiser

Kev - I agree with you about seed that matures in the fall (planting and
leaving outside works best for me). But what about seed that matures in the
spring and early summer? It seems to me that I get lots of seedlings
associated with that seed drop a few weeks after they fall. - Marty

Old 10-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Brent Walston

Marty

Seed that ripens in the spring should be sown immediately and not dried
or stored. The best example I know of is Acer rubrum, which if dried for
very long, will not germinate. I used to collect seed just about the
time it would begin to drop from the tree, soak it and sow it
immediately and got excellent germination.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 10-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Tiziano

Robert Steed wrote:

Hi there,

I'm sure I do not know what I am doing. I just planted some Japanese Red
Maple seeds into an indoor pot. What sort of preparation should I have done
first?

get informed first act after
and read all that
http://www.plant-facts.com/bonsai/growing-bonsai.php