Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Phil L wrote:

[...]
I noticed a
capital P on a label stuck in some lobelia seedlings in the
supermarket the other day...the P is for protection! - it's just
another 'jobs for the boys' ruling

Well...but I hope you don't want plant breeding and selection to
stop altogether because it doesn't pay. That "job for the boys"

is
somebody's by no means risk-free living, and is very likely the
result of years of experience and training.

So?
My dad was a painter and decorator but he didn't pay the government
to pass a law stating that all DIY decorating should be banned.

You are certainly far too intelligent to imagine that I'm not
intelligent enough to see why that's a load of dulux. So who is your
target audience?

like the ones where it's now
illegal to replce a lightswitch in your house, or replace a pane
of glass.

It is? OK, Officer, I surrender: you no doubt have a copy of the
law for me or my representative to read. I smell straight

bananas,
wrapped (unhygienically and so perhaps illegally) in discarded
pages of the Daily Mail.

You have to be a qualified electrician to do electrical work and be

member of 'FENSA' to replace glass...

Where? Since when? By whose rules?

it's going the same way as
plumbing....it's all safety and who can argue against that? -

maybe
decorators *will* get a law passed, based on the stupidity of the
average person who thinks he can reach 'if I just stand on this
box....'

- To the OP, do what you want, unless you are doing it on a

grand
scale (anything larger than supplying a couple of greengrocers

for
example) you won't get your collar felt.

That at least is almost right. Nobody's going to hassle you for a
few plants from seed sold for a registered charity or even maybe

bit of beer money; flog rooted cuttings to a High-Street shop,

and
I begin to lose sympathy.

Why? - if I've had fuchsias growing for the past 20 years and

decide
to flog 12 dozen cuttings to the corner shop, what harm has been
done? - his regular supplier has lost a few quid?

Again, if you follow urg you're surely far too intelligent to imagine
that that is what plant breeders' rights are about. So why say it?

--
Mike.