Old 12-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Conor Redmond

Travis wrote:
RainLover wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:10:29 -0700, Conor Redmond
wrote:

I'd like to plant some bamboo to help act as a screen between me
and my neighbours house. But I've heard Bamboo is fairly prolific
and once it's planted it will start to slowly invade the rest of
the garden.
Is there any way to help ensure that the bamboo can be kept in
just one area ?

Thanks
Conor
http://www.gardennut.com

Bamboo makes a GREAT barrior, but unless you want ENEMIES living
next door, at a minimum, put a bamboo barrior along the fence line.
This barrior needs to be at least 22" deep, and keep 2" above
ground level because it WILL go up and over, and 2" will at least
make it visible and easy to trim.

If you don't want it coming up everwhere in YOUR yard, put the
barrior up on your side too. You can rent a trencher for under
$100 that'll do the job and it's VERY worth it 5 years down the
road. Some may suggest you just "cut it with the mower" but you
will end up with stubby little hard things in your yard.

REMEMBER THIS RULE OF THUMB:
Bamboo can run UNDERGROUND as far as it is tall before popping up.

But if it 'pops up' and you mow it, add that distance AGAIN from
that shoot point..

With a little thought before planting, you'll LOVE the bamboo for as
long as you live there.

james, port orchard, zone 8a (black, yellowgrove, Dolcis, and nigra
henon)

From the ABS web site.
http://www.americanbamboo.org/FAQ.ht...ereIDontWantIt

Thanks
I was a little scared by the revelation that the underground runners
could go laterally as far as they could vertically.
I appreciate the Excellent advice though.

Is there any local places in Seattle where you can pick up some shoots.
I generally haven't seen it in any of the nurseries.

Cheers
Conor
http://wwww.gardennut.com