Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Steve wachs

:

'Hokkaido' (sic) (also a cultivar of Chinese elm) is very challenging. It is
almost impossible to wire.
It is my understanding that 'Hokkaido' is the most tender variety, and is
grown indoors as a subtropical following a cool rest in fall. At least that
is
the practice in Zones 5 & 6.

I only see Hokkaido in cold greenhouses in the winter. I have never been
able to wire them. Branches are too brittle. Jiu San only hept them in the cold
greenhouse.

Seiju is a sport of Yatzabutza and I think Seiju is a better tree to work
with.
I also seen Cork bark elms in nurseries right or wrong labelled as Nire

SteveW

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++