Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:17:44 -0700, Conor Redmond
wrote:

I'm saving the seeds of my own three varieties of Pepper plants (sweet,
bell and hot) this season.
I should have plenty spare suitable for trade or send an SSAE.

So, what are you doing to insure seed purity?

I've bought a few pepper plants that I can't find seeds for, and I was
thinking of trying to save my own seeds. Peppers cross-pollinate so
easily, though. There is a man on an email list I'm on who has some
excellent suggestions that I'm going to try. He raises a lot of rare
_Capsicum _ species, and has a lot of experience preventing
cross-pollination.

He suggested using mosquito netting from an Army/Navy surplus store
to put around the branches, then giving the plants a good shake
everyday so that they'll pollinate themselves.

Penelope