Old 12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
simy1

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
Any and all advice welcome.

Three years ago I planted one grape, one rasberry, and one blackberry

(small
bushes/vines) along 50 feet of fence at the rear of my yard. The

grape and
rasberry have grown little / only slightly. The Blackberry has

propogated
into some 30 plants via underground runners (so much so that I have

moved 10
to my side fence).

The grass I once wanted along the back fence is now a nuisance. I

have to
cut it by hand with scissors or small sheers because an electric

weedeater
would also cut down the blackberry vines that produce delicous

berries.

Here is what I have done with my raspberries.

1) install grass barrier, so you don't have to do the job again next
time. It is a plastic strip that goes mostly underground, and that you
can get at any garden center
2) get enough cardboard to cover the strip
3) place cardboard on strip. where a cane exists, cut cardboard with
scissors to accomodate cane
4) cover with wood chips
5) for the few weeds that make it through the cardboard, use roundup.
6) in a couple of years, the chips will become soil and accept weed
seeds. either add more chips or make the mulch more permanent in the
first place, and use gravel first time around.