Old 12-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Alex Woodward

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Alex Woodward wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm
in the UK, or is this far to deep?

Practically any but dwarf varieties can go to 80cm. I used to have some
down 5', and they'd be hugely prolific.
--
derek

I originally planted a lily(Marliacea Carnea) in a shallow pond last year
and at a depth of about 40 cm. It grew pretty well but did not flower
(terrible summer). In September last year, I decided to re-dig the pond and
make it bigger and deeper. I re-potted the lily in a large lily pot and
placed it in the deepest end at 1 metre. This spring, I used 2 x fertiliser
pond spikes in the hope that they will help it to grow and flower at its new
depth. The top of the pot where the plants shoot up is at a depth of 80cm.

I have been browsing the net and the planting depth for this plant seems to
vary from 45cm to 105cm. Therefore, I am a little unsure as to what the best
depth is.

I have to say, that when I put it in the new pond, the leaves just (and I
mean just) reach the surface. However, it was September which probably left
the plant little or no time to re-adjust to its new depth.

Alex