Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Alex Woodward

Default water lily

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm in
the UK, or is this far to deep?

Alex

Old 11-05-2005, 08:35 PM
San Diego Joe

"Alex Woodward" wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm in
the UK, or is this far to deep?

Alex

You could always raise the pot up from the bottom by resting it on something
like an inverted pot.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Old 11-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Chet

Alex Woodward wrote:
Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm in
the UK, or is this far to deep?

Alex

Fully half of mine are at this depth.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

Alex Woodward wrote:
Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm in
the UK, or is this far to deep?

AFAIK, water lilies *are* deep-water plants (ie. by small-pond
standards), and 80cm should be right in their range (except possibly for
some dwarf varieties). Just go look at any natural marsh: as the ground
slopes off you get the boggy plants, then small emergents like
pickerelweed and arrowhead, then cattails, then lilies in the open water
that's too deep for the others. The leaf stems are easily a meter long.

-- Kizhe

Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
~Roy~

I have a few growing in better than 5 or 6 feet of water and doing
fine...IIRC they are the more common Virginia something or others.
Like another already stated, you can always rasie em up if need be,
with blocks or upturned flower pots, milk crates etc.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:36:30 GMT, "Alex Woodward"
wrote:

===Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm in
===the UK, or is this far to deep?
===
===Alex
===

Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 PM
nemo2

wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm in
the UK, or is this far to deep?

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm sur e that I've seen some that could be planted to 36" (91cm), but
don't remember the name of the fully. I saw a programme the other day
that suggested starting off the lilies in shallow water then gradually
moving them to deeper water/

Hopefully a more knowledgable person than me will come along and
answer your question.

regards

nemo2
Old 12-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Alex Woodward wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm
in the UK, or is this far to deep?

Practically any but dwarf varieties can go to 80cm. I used to have some
down 5', and they'd be hugely prolific.
--
derek
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Derek Broughton

wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm
in the UK, or is this far to deep?

I'm sur e that I've seen some that could be planted to 36" (91cm), but
don't remember the name of the fully. I saw a programme the other day
that suggested starting off the lilies in shallow water then gradually
moving them to deeper water/

Starting them off in shallow water just gives you a bit of a head start -
the water will tend to be a bit warmer at this time of year and the light
is stronger at the surface, so it's like starting a plant in a greenhouse.
--
derek
Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
2pods

wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm
in the UK, or is this far to deep?

I'm sur e that I've seen some that could be planted to 36" (91cm), but
don't remember the name of the fully. I saw a programme the other day
that suggested starting off the lilies in shallow water then gradually
moving them to deeper water/

Sorry to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject of lillies, is it
possible to harm pond plants by using lily tabs ?

The consensus seemed to be OK, but after one big tab the plants seem to look
worse.
A bit floppy and "dry" looking ?

Peter

Peter

Old 12-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Alex Woodward

Alex Woodward wrote:

Are there any water lilies that would be ok to plant at a depth of 80 cm
in the UK, or is this far to deep?

Practically any but dwarf varieties can go to 80cm. I used to have some
down 5', and they'd be hugely prolific.
--
derek

I originally planted a lily(Marliacea Carnea) in a shallow pond last year
and at a depth of about 40 cm. It grew pretty well but did not flower
(terrible summer). In September last year, I decided to re-dig the pond and
make it bigger and deeper. I re-potted the lily in a large lily pot and
placed it in the deepest end at 1 metre. This spring, I used 2 x fertiliser
pond spikes in the hope that they will help it to grow and flower at its new
depth. The top of the pot where the plants shoot up is at a depth of 80cm.

I have been browsing the net and the planting depth for this plant seems to
vary from 45cm to 105cm. Therefore, I am a little unsure as to what the best
depth is.

I have to say, that when I put it in the new pond, the leaves just (and I
mean just) reach the surface. However, it was September which probably left
the plant little or no time to re-adjust to its new depth.

Alex

Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Sean Dinh

If your potting media has high cation exchange rate like clay, it would bind the
fertilizer. The fertilizer has little chance of dissolving into the water
column.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Re lily depth, have a look in "rock and water garden expert" by Hessayon, you may find it in B&Q or garden centres. If you want to get really posh "complete guide to water garden plants" by Helen Nash and Steve Stroupe, ISBN 1-4027-0954-4.
Most UK lily labels carry a depth indication and also have a look in B&Q at their dry packed lilies.
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/ is a good site for lilies although I dont know if they list depth.

Re fertiliser tabs/pellets, some if too close to the roots can burn the roots, for this reason I have started mixing loose slow release osmicote? beads in the soil where possible rather than add a pellet in one location. It will be interesting to see the results, from memory these are a Miracle grow product but there are probably many makers.