Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Although the potatoes are doing quite well.

Early and Second early spuds are up, now under fleece.
All 4 rows of peas now showing, good germination.
Garlic looking fantastic, thick stems, could be a good year.
Shallots and onions looking good.
Carrots only went in this week (Long Red Surrey or Chertsey, own seed)
Strawberries flowering exceptionally well.
Dahlias now coming up too ( left in for years)

Lots of red lettuce "weeds" all winter due to me allowing last years unused
ones to go to seed,
we will simply dig some up and plant in rows...free red lettuce. We already
have a row almost ready to pick done the same way during winter.
Why is it so expensive in the shops when it will grow like a weed and is so
hardy?

--
Regards
Bob